Friday, May 14, 2010

“I'm Not Spongin' for Rum. It be Gold I'm After!”


You know that I love to cook.  You know that I love to eat.  But my real talent lies in shopping.  And naturally, my favorite place to shop is Walt Disney World.

I don’t know if I realized how much I love WDW shopping until I sat down and started to compile this list.  Holy cow, was it hard to limit myself to a list of ten favorite shops.  I could’ve done a “Top Ten Shops Where I love to Browse but Never Buy Anything” list, a “Top Ten Stores that Used to be great but Now Aren’t” list, or even a “Top Ten Stores That are Tied to an Attraction” list.  Maybe I will someday.  For now I am going to do my very best to stick to my favorite stores in Walt Disney World to make purchases.

10. BouTiki (Disney’s Polynesian Resort) -- Some of my earliest shopping memories are from the Polynesian Resort.  We used to eat dinner one night each trip at the Papeete Bay Verandah (how I miss this restaurant!), and we’d always browse through the wonderful shops scattered throughout the Great Ceremonial House.  I desperately wanted one of the little grass skirt outfits that they sold there, but my parents weren’t buying it (literally).  So you’d better believe that the first time I took my daughter to WDW, we went straight to the Polynesian to buy her one, which I immediately let her change into to wear to the luau!

9. Disney’s Days of Christmas (Downtown Disney Marketplace) – I’m sure it’s no surprise that there is a significant Disney presence in the holiday decorations at my house.  But I don’t like just any Disney decorations.  The Victorian ones here fit the theme of my holiday décor and the parlor where I display them perfectly.

8. Art of Disney – There are in fact a few of these stores scattered across Disney property, and I love them all.  I just wish I could afford most of what was in them. 

7. Mombasa Marketplace/Ziwani Traders (Disney’s Animal Kingdom) I actually themed my family room to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, and most of the décor is from this shop.  People come into my home and think I have a weird elephant obsession…

6.  Yong Feng Shangdian Department Store (China Pavilion, Epcot) – This is such a fun place to shop!  They have a bit of everything – clothes, home décor, souvenirs, jewelry, and these darling little jade elephants – okay; maybe I do have a problem…
  
5. Villains in Vogue (Disney’s Hollywood Studios) – This used to vie for a top spot on my list, but lately there seems to be way too much of a focus on Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland merchandise.  Give me more classic Disney villains!  I still love it, though. ;)

4. Uptown Jewelers (Magic Kingdom) Disney + Jewelry = “Hi, I’m Teri.  Have we met?

3.  TrenD (Downtown Disney Marketplace) – This wins my “Best New Shop” award hands-down.  You see, I have a personal rule that I enforce to keep myself from buying absolutely everything I see at WDW: If it’s not something I would normally buy, I’m not going to buy it just because it has a Disney character on it.  I’m not a big t-shirt wearer, so this severely limits my Disney clothing options.  Enter TrenD -- a stylish boutique with designer flair and eclectic offerings, perfect for fashion-conscious shoppers seeking trendy apparel and novel accessories.  Now if only they’d start a Disney/Ann Taylor line…

2. Mousegear (Epcot) – This was a hard pick.  I didn’t want to put both the Emporium at Magic Kingdom and Mousegear on my list, as they are quite similar.  But which to pick?  Mousegear has a better jewelry selection, but Emporium has that great vintage attraction merchandise.  Maybe I should… no, I said Mousegear, and I’m sticking by it.

And my number one favorite shop?

1. Mickey’s Pantry (Downtown Disney Marketplace) – Yes, I realize that I may be the only person on the planet that would put this shop at number one.  Yes, I know that I left a lot of great Disney shops off this list.  But the truth of the matter is, I do love to cook, and I often buy more merchandise here than anywhere else on property!

But enough about me; what about you?  Where do you love to shop at WDW?  Let me know at http://www.facebook.com/disneygene!    





1 comment:

  1. I need to put BouTiki as a shopping stop for the the next visit. I love Mickey's Pantry too, but Mousegear is a great shop and my number 1. Thanks the list, I just passed it on to someone else on their way down. I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete