Friday, April 30, 2010

Delicious Disney Duplication

After writing Wednesday’s blog, my sweet tooth was clamoring to be sated. Reviewing my list, I thought of how much my husband would enjoy the Carrot Cake Cookies from the Writer’s Stop at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. As I searched the web however, I was unable to locate the recipe. Of course, I’m not going to let that stop me, so I created my own. I decided to share, so that you can have a bit of a Disney fix to tide you over until your next trip. Is this anything close to the actual recipe? Absolutely not. It is however, very easy, made with common ingredients, and they disappeared very quickly in our house!

Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches

(Makes one dozen sandwiches)

Cookie:

½ cup raisins

3 Tbs. rum*

1 plain yellow cake mix

2 tsp. cinnamon

1 ½ cups grated carrot (from about 3 medium carrots)

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 eggs


Frosting:

8 Tbs. (one stick) unsalted butter, softened

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened (regular or reduced fat, not fat free)

1 lb. powdered sugar, sifted

2 Tbs. crushed pineapple, drained


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place raisins and rum in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for about 35-40 seconds. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cinnamon, raisin mixture, carrots, oil and eggs; mix well. Place by rounded tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet; 2 dozen cookies, total. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool completely.

Cream the butter and cream cheese together until no lumps remain. Add the powdered sugar in batches, and mix until well-combined. Beat an additional minute, until light in fluffy. Add pineapple and mix well. If the frosting is not firm enough, refrigerate for a few minutes. If it is too thick, add a little more pineapple.

Ice the bottom (flat side, that was on the cookie sheet) of one of the cookies with a generous amount of the frosting. Place another cookie (flat side down) on top to form a sandwich. You may have some frosting left over, as my husband said my filling-to-cookie ratio was too high. I said that such a thing is not possible; you can never have too much cream cheese frosting. Adjust it to your personal tastes.





* If you don’t want to use rum, you can use nearly any flavorful liquid. This particular time, I used Captain Morgan’s Spiced Rum. You could use plain rum, Grand Marnier, bourbon, or even orange juice or pineapple juice. I just think it’s really important to plump the raisins. I hate dry, hard raisins in baked goods. Of course, if you don’t like raisins, just leave them out entirely!

Did you like today’s post? Are there any WDW recipes you have been unable to locate and would like for me to attempt to recreate? Please let me know at www.facebook.com/disneygene!



1 comment:

  1. I would like to say that you really made my day, it's wonderful when you just look around the web
    and find something like this, reminds me of that ''How to make a dinner for a romantic...'' by Elsa Thomas,
    you're a wonderful writer let me tell you!!! ñ_ñ

    James Maverick (maverickhunterjames@gmail.com)
    3453 Rardin Drive
    San Mateo, CA 94403
    Project Manager
    650-627-8033

    ReplyDelete