Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cheaters' Onion Pull-Apart Rolls

As I’ve mentioned previously, one of my favorite Christmas presents this year was the new Disney cookbook, Chef Mickey – Treasures from the Vault & Delicious New Favorites, by Pam Brandon and the Disney Chefs.  I’ve been dying to jump in and give some of these recipes a try.

I’m making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight, so I thought the Onion Pull-Apart Rolls from the Yachtsman Steakhouse would be a delicious accompaniment.  I looked over the ingredients and directions; not too complicated, but very time consuming.  Seriously, these things would take over five hours to make.  I’m sure I’ll try them someday, but not today.

So instead, I decided to try to invent a “cheaters” version.  As I’m not any more likely to be stingy with recipes than I am with food, I thought I’d share.

Cheaters' Onion Pull-Apart Rolls

Ingredients:

2 Tbs. water
1/2 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 package refrigerated biscuits, 10 count

Directions:

Place the onion in a small bowl and sprinkle with water.  Allow to sit for about 20 minutes to soften.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a standard muffin tin with non-stick spray. 
Remove the biscuits from the package and flatten them with the heel of your hand.  Spread half of the biscuit with butter and sprinkle with a bit of the onion.


Fold the biscuit in half and repeat. (Your hands are going to smell really onion-y by the end of this; sorry.)


Fold in half again and stretch into a rectangular shape.  Spread on some more butter and sprinkle with some more onion.  (Hey, I said it was easy.  I didn’t say it was low-calorie.)


Curl the strips of the dough into the muffin cups with the layered edges facing up.  Spread with remaining butter and sprinkle with the rest of the onions.


Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove and serve.


Who says cheaters never win?





No comments:

Post a Comment