Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Time for a Cool Change


I started writing today’s post with the intent to pick an attraction in each of the four Walt Disney World parks that I thought was due for an overhaul, and perhaps describe an appropriate replacement.  I got a little hung up though when I came to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.  It was a little like facing a dessert buffet; with so many tempting options, how do you choose just one?

There’s a lot about the Studios that I just adore.  Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock’n’Roller Coaster, and Toy Story Midway Mania! are three of my favorite attractions.   Fantasmic! Is always a good time (when it’s, you know, actually showing), and watching my husband perform in the American Idol Experience will always be a wonderful memory for me.  But there’s plenty in the Studios that could use a reboot.

The obvious choice is Sounds Dangerous.  It’s currently operating in seasonal status anyway, and we all know that that generally means its days are numbered as a WDW attraction.  And outside of Drew Carey himself, I doubt a whole lot of people will be sorry to see it go.  I don’t anticipate any Toad-style sit-ins for this one.

But then I got to thinking: What about Voyage of the Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast?  While both of these are charming and enjoyable shows, they aren’t ones that I have to catch on absolutely every trip.  And will the new Fantasyland expansion make these attractions superfluous, as both characters will at that time be well-represented in the Magic Kingdom? It’s something to think about.  And from what I understand, these were never meant to be permanent fixtures in the park, anyway.  They were supposed to run for a few years and then be replaced with something new, much as shows were rotated in the Backlot Theater.  If Belle and Ariel will have nice new homes in Fantasyland, why not let some of the newer characters like Tiana or Rapunzel have a show at DHS for awhile? It’s just a thought. And while I like the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, I'm still hoping that we can copy Disneyland's Indian Jones Adventure.  What an awesome ride!

And the Backlot Tour; oy vey, the Backlot Tour.  What can I say?  I mean, it still has Catastrophe Canyon, but not much else.  A several-hour tour has been reduced to 25 minutes, and that ain’t because people needed bathroom breaks, folks.  It’s because now that the Studios is no longer a working studio, there’s just not much to see.

What do you think?  Are you absolutely aghast that I could be the least bit critical of anything Disney related, or do you agree that DHS could use a little TLC?  What attractions would you like to see updated or added?  Let me know at http://www.facebook.com/disneygene!  




1 comment:

  1. I totally agree on the Backlot Tour and Sounds Dangerous. I disagree on Beauty and the Beast. I think that show is fantastic and like a mini Broadway show. I love it and so do my kids. My DS2 sat through the show staring with great intensity. I would say any show that can capture a 2 year old boy should hang around for a while longer.

    ReplyDelete