Friday, June 18, 2010

I’m Sooooo Excited!


If you are a Disney fan, I’m sure that you are aware that today marks the release of Toy Story 3 to theaters, and I for one am so excited! 

When Toy Story 2 came out in 1999, my excitement was tempered.  My experience to Disney sequels up until that point had been less than stellar.  The only animated sequel that had been released to theaters that I could recall was The Rescuers Down Under.  I thought it was okay, but I liked the original much more.  And all of the direct-to-video sequels like The Return of Jafar, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, Pocahontas II: Journey to a new World, and The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride had not exactly instilled me with a lot of confidence in Disney’s ability to make a good animated sequel.  I should have known to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt.

Our experience with that movie didn’t start out well.  When we got to the movie theater (in pouring-down rain, I might add) the show was sold out.  The last show of the night still had some seats available.  Did I want to take my four-year-old to a 9:50 show or tell her we had to come back another night?  I’m a cool mom, and a smart one.  And it’s not like I was all that worried that she be bright-eyed and chipper for pre-school the next morning.  Of course we watched it that night.  And the crowds, the rain, and the loud children in the theater (seriously, does no one make their kids behave in a movie?) all ceased to matter as we watched the film.  My husband and I were actually debating in the car on the way home which was better; Toy Story or Toy Story 2.  When’s the last time that was an issue with a Disney sequel? 

There are a lot of Pixar films rumored to be sequeled (Is that a word?  I don’t think so.  But you know what I mean.): Cars, Monsters Inc, and The Incredibles come to mind. I’m sure I’ll be lining up for any that they release, even the Cars sequel.   But to me, there’s something really special about the Toy Story characters.  Even though they are a child’s toys, they are actually adults, with emotions I can relate to.  They react to situations in a way I can understand, but not necessarily predict.  And I feel a real emotional connection with these characters.  That’s why I’ll be sure to bring a pack of Kleenex with me to this picture.  I mean, who am I kidding?  I cry at the very beginning of a Disney movie when the show the castle!  Considering the subject matter and my knowledge that in three years it will be my baby going off to college, there is no way I am going to make it through this picture with my mascara intact.

Where do I stand on the 2D vs. 3D debate?  I’ll be paying the extra couple of bucks to see it in 3D.  Yes, the glasses are dark, heavy, too big for my head, and give me a headache.  But I’ll be watching this in 2D at home when I buy the DVD (you’ll notice I said when, not if), so I figure that I may as well see it in 3D while I have the chance

You all know what I’ll be doing this weekend. (Well, that and trying to learn how to play the trumpet for my role in Gypsy.  That is not going well, in case you are wondering.  I sound like a dying cow, and it scares the living daylights out of my dogs.) Will you be joining me in theaters this weekend?  Let me know at http://www.facebook.com/disneygene!




No comments:

Post a Comment